In recent years, the number of immigrants to the United States has been decreasing. There are a number of reasons for this change, and there are certainly some effects that it has on our day-to-day lives that might not be seen immediately. Immigration is an important part of our society and economy, so having a good number of immigrants is important. Today, we will look at some reasons why there has been a decrease in immigration and how this actually impacts the lives of Americans.
Why is immigration decreasing?
As mentioned before, there are a number of reasons why immigration is decreasing to the United States. Many wish to live here but are unable to due to different restrictions or lengthier processes that make it difficult. Here are a couple of the reasons why immigration has seen a decline:
- More Restrictions – One of the main reasons why immigration has decreased is because of the restrictions that have been placed on it. The previous presidential administration placed many restrictions on immigration that have made it harder for people to complete the process. While some would argue that it has decreased illegal immigration, it has also impacted the legal process of immigration as well. The current administration has not done much to decrease these restrictions, so immigration continues to be more difficult.
- Global Pandemic – The COVID-19 pandemic has impacted everyone around the world. Potential immigrants to the United States are no exception to this. In order to slow down the spread of the virus, there have been a number of restrictions placed on entering U.S. soil. Travel alone has been more difficult, especially at the start of the pandemic. It’s no surprise that immigration would see similar effects because of Covid.
What does a decrease in immigration cause?
We have looked at some reasons why immigration is decreasing, but we still need to look at what effects this has on our society. How immigration is done and how many immigrants we allow is certainly a topic for debate, but there are some negatives to having fewer immigrants coming to the country. Here are a few of the effects a decrease in immigration has:
- Inflation – Inflation is currently at an all-time high. There are, of course, many factors that contribute to this. The war in Ukraine and the COVID-19 pandemic are some of the first things people attribute to being the cause of inflation, but believe it or not, a decrease in immigration also has a part to play in all of this. Currently, there are many jobs that are not being worked due to a lack of immigrants who would fill them. This has caused many businesses to make up for this by raising the prices of their goods and services. This directly contributes to inflation and could have been avoided if there were more immigrant workers in the country.
- Weaker Economy – Having fewer immigrants in the country means that our economy has less room to grow. Immigrants bring innovation and diversity to the country, which allows for us to expand how and where our economy can operate. We already see some ways our economy is suffering from the increase in inflation. There will only be more negatives as things go on.
- Illegal Immigration – A decrease in legal immigration will only cause an increase in illegal immigration. As it becomes harder and harder for people to immigrate to the United States, the number of illegal immigrants will only increase. Even if border security increases, an increase in people attempting to illegally immigrate will result in more resources being used to prevent it.
We have learned that immigration is decreasing because of restrictions and the COVID-19 pandemic. We have also looked at some negative effects a decrease in immigration has on our society. Immigration is an important part of our society’s growth, so having it decrease can cause many problems. If things don’t change soon, the American population will only become smaller and older.
Check Out Our Other Posts...
Recently, there was a supreme court case that brought about a new ruling in regard to immigration bonds. This ruling decided that immigrants who enter